What is the best electric shaver to buy?

It’s been ages since I last had an electric shaver. I think I was in my early twenties. I bought a Phillips one and found it pretty good. Then, I can’t recall specifically what happened, but I stopped using it and swapped to shaving with a razor blade and doing wet shaves every morning. I do quite enjoy it. But sometimes I feel like I don’t have time.

Sometimes I’d like the option to quickly zip around my face before/during/after the shower and get on with my day.

I was in Boots the other day looking and I was overcome with choice. In a Tesco Extra I really couldn’t pick out the difference between the £39 model and the £180 model beyond some basics (e.g. one needs to be plugged in constantly, the other has a fairly hefty battery).

I’m not sure what brand to use.

I’m not sure what price point is sensible either.

This is where Amazon is absolutely useless.

I searched for Electric Shavers and got hundreds of results. I was about to buy one Phillips model when I read a review, possibly written by an arse (there’s no way of telling) who likened his £160 purchase to be almost exactly the same as the £45 model he’d already bought. That made me pause.

Gahhh.

So I’d very much welcome your feedback. What do you recommend? Which brands? Braun? Remington? Phillips?

What features?

I think I need:

• Cordless
  • Battery that doesn’t need charging every time
  • Good blade?
  • Zero maintenance or thereabouts

I could seriously justify buying a £25, £50, or £200 model given that it’s something that I’d probably be using regularly.

Thoughts?

20130418-124317.jpg

, , , , , ,

13 Responses to What is the best electric shaver to buy?

1. Tom April 19, 2013 at 8:10 am #

I have to ask why you think you want one. Electric shavers are a regressive invention – worse than the thing they seek to replace. A wet shave is superior in almost every respect. If you’re after an improved shaving experience: get thee to Trumper!

The only advantages electric shavers have are portability (buy a proper shave kit bag for your wet razor and that’s sorted) and mobility (but do you really want to be that guy shaving on the train? Really?)

If you insist… The best ones are Philips ones. Apparently.

• Crankcase08 July 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

I disagree. I used to always shave with a Phillishave, but about a couple of years ago I switched to using a double-razor and foam, and eventually realising it was beginning to make my facial skin tough and rough, like I remember all adult men seemed to have years ago that made them look older than their true age. that’s probably due to the blade constantly scraping the skin.

I’ve now been using a Phillishave again for the past year or so and the roughness has more or less gone.

2. My Nokia N900 April 19, 2013 at 10:03 am #

I have been a Braun man for many years and have two of their models. They are well supported by all the big chains (Superdrug, Boots, John Lewis etc). German made, like their cars are meant to last and offer superior quality.

A year or two ago my wife got me the Braun Series 7 model as a gift and an upgrade to my previous 90’s model (not even listed on their website), which has automatic cleaning through an alcohol based cleaning liquid, which also keeps the blades well oiled and clean. The battery lasts a good two or three weeks on a full charge. One can charge and clean or just clean or do an economy charge/clean. Lots of options. The cleaning liquid is cheap and you can buy it in bulk.

The shaver itself is okay and not brilliant like my previous model. It vibrates very fast and fine, but hates my face for some reason and as a result cuts me often or pulls hair instead of cutting it. This results in me not shaving as often as I would like. It could be because the blades are not oiled enough or they are getting old, but I am not sure.

Another thing I don’t like is the precision trimmer, which is angled in an awkward position and often falls down while trimming longer hair.

The biggest problem is one cannot go into a shop and say “Can I test out this electric shaver?”, unlike someone going into a glasses shop and trying on all the different types available, so when shopping for an electric shaver, it all comes down to trust of the reviewer or the flashy box / website with all the nice pictures and techno talk.
    Quite tricky. Do post again and let me know which model you went for as I am also looking for the next big thing.

3. weiphi April 19, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I’ve always been shaving electric (less fumbling, less “equipment” to carry around). Two years ago I switched from a ancient single blade Braun to a Philips RQ1250/16 SensoTouch 3D.

My old Braun had gotten slow, its battery was useless and it sounded like a tractor. It was particularly rubbish at shaving below the chin and around the adams apple.

The Philips is fairly quiet. It’s fast. The battery lasts for almost two weeks (with one thorough daily shave). It isn’t as good under the chin as I hoped it would be. But it shaves in every direction with three blades. So I guess it doesn’t get any better than that. At around €170 it’s upper/mid-range, well worth it for me since I use it every day

It’s also waterproof. You can shave under the shower, if that’s your thing or you can use your shaving foam with the electric shaver.

To clean it, you just flip open the blade covers and rinse. It’s really convenient.

My only smallish grievance is the charging station. It works fine but due to its Y-shape plus foot, it’s a bit bulky. If you could just disassemble the foot from the Y-shaped fork it would use up much less space. But for short trips I don’t need to carry the charger and on longer trips, space in luggage usually isn’t that much of an issue.

Overall I’m very happy with it.

(btw, it sucks that you can’t try out a €300 shaver for a few days or at least test it. If Braun/Philips really think they build the best shavers out there, let me try them for a bit and see for myself before spending lots of money.)

• Nuno Inácio April 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

A friend just advise me that Braun is offering a 100 day trial period until end of June here in Portugal

4. Martin April 19, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Get the professionals to do it each morning – I can recommend Ted’s Grooming Room at Ted Barker shops. 😉

• Ewan April 19, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

If only that was possible every day. I just don’t seem to see those shops around!

5. Richard Garman April 24, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

They are almost always disappointing purchases. I did recently buy a Philips QS6140/32 as a trimmer, but surprisingly it gave me a closer shave than any £200 dedicated shaver I’ve bought in the past

6. Adam Radcliffe April 4, 2014 at 6:11 am #

i would say a phillips f1 shaver there 150 they have good batter life a trimmer and there washable which to me is essentail the heads are replacble which arent that expensive i have mine for years and love
    with phillips cleaning soloution its amazing one of the best shaves i have ever had and less irritating for people with sensitive drive skin
    i just thought i would pass on my experience
    i think if u dont get the fi 1 model get one which is washable an replaceable heads and i would say with a trimmer as well
    my friend told me phillips are the best and my experince says they are good
    i have not tried another makes
    as my phillips has stood the test of time and like it a lot

7. Adam Radcliffe April 4, 2014 at 6:12 am #

ps electric shavers save on cost of blades an foam
    love my phillips f1

8. Adam Radcliffe April 4, 2014 at 6:24 am #

pps dont forget a shaving adapter plug when u buy one because most shavers dont come with amains plug or some dont and mine did not

9. Andrew May 19, 2015 at 8:05 pm #